WHO CHIEF SAYS CONFIDENT U.S. FUNDING WILL CONTINUE IN COVID FIGHT

Tags: COVID-19PandemiaWHO
By April 14, 2020 April 17th, 2020 Corona, Other, Retrieved

The head of the World Health Organization (WHO) voiced confidence on Monday that the United States would continue funding his U.N. agency, despite President Donald Trump’s criticism of WHO’s handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.

U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week that the Trump administration was re-evaluating U.S. funding to the body, saying international organisations utilising U.S. taxpayer money needed to deliver on their goals.

The United States is the biggest overall donor to the Geneva-based WHO, contributing more than $400 million in 2019, roughly 15% of its budget.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO director-general, asked by a U.S.-based journalist about reports that Trump might “cut off” funding this week, said he had spoken with him two weeks ago.

“What I know is that he is supportive and I hope that the funding to WHO will continue. The relationship we have is very good and we hope that this will continue,” Tedros said.

Days after China informed it about cases of pneumonia of unknown origin on Dec. 31, the WHO sent an alert to all member states on Jan. 5, its top emergencies expert Dr. Mike Ryan said.

“From that perspective the information was shared and very appropriate actions were taken in the United States in response to that alert,” he said.

The original article can be found here.

 

Fully overtaken from Reuters.

Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap